02 August 2006

Ermergence, Education, Edification

Ahhh, the sweet smell of employment. Or was that the soft stench of rotting slavery?

Tough sometimes to know for sure. I've been working a new job for the past two months now. Got a job working at a cabinet shop. Custom kitchens, baths, bars, mantles. That kind of stuff. To be honest, I do find it very interesting. I'm learning a lot, and my interest is only growing.

When I started this blog, I mentioned that the name for this blog is appropiate, in that somtimes it feels like I have one square foot. So here I got taking my own steps. I had elluded to trying to make a dream happen. That dream is to someday have my own woodworking shop. So here I go, getting a job in a shop to learn some more skills, and the bits and pieces of business so that I can someday make a go of it.

I'd love to had my own shop, in the backyard, of a house just out of town. Work from home, spend time with my family, and doing something that brings satisfation. I've dreamed of this for so long. It's time to make it happen. I've spent so much time making other people happy. Not that making other people happy is a bad thing. The world needs more happy people. I'm not going to stop doing that. But now, it's time to also start making myself happy (not like that, dirty minded people). It's time to start doing things that I can be proud of, I can look at it and feel satisfied, and get paid for doing that as well.

I'm looking forward to this, but with a bit of trepidation. For the first time in a very long time, I am taking a much firmer grip upon my destiny. I've let things happen for far to long, which has been very fun. Riding the wave, going with the flow, adapting, changing, staying near the edge (so I can be the spectator for those on the edge). But it's time to become the rock, to be the one that the waves break upon. To become what I have been destined to be, to take form, to emerge, to.... ok, enough of dramatic metaphorism.

But in the middle of it all, here I am. The past few weeks have seen some great developments. My relationship with my kids has changed, mainly due to them growing and learning new levels of relating with people. I'm immature, and they just caught up with me. Now that we're on the same level, we get a long a lot better :). Just kidding. But something has changed, and it's a lot more fun now.

The other development? My new hobby: RC gliders. I mentioned earlier, it's something I've wanted to try for a long time. I'm having a lot of fun. If you have no idea what I'm talking about then do some research, keywords: dlg glider. Part of the reason I'm having so much fun with it is that I am learning something new. I realized a long time ago, that one of my strengths is my ability to learn. I makes me who I am, and the more I expand my mind and abilities, the better I feel about myself. I have been a little dormant in this area for a while, and getting back into expanding myself feels good. The other part is the challenge of RC gliders. The style of gliders I have chosen are hand launch gliders (throw it up, fly it for as long as possible with that throw) is a challenge. There is no motor to get you out of trouble, so fly safe. But at the same time, there are things you can do to take advantage of anything that may help extend the flight (thermals, slope lift, good flying technique). Although I havn't been too successful yet, it is possible to get flights well over 30 min. from one throw (if you know what you're doing, which I don't yet). I've gotten to the point that I can consistantly fly the plane without crashing, and I'm getting better at flying it in to land it where I want it to land (within a 10 ft circle at least). But I should be able to get it to the point to land within 12" of any target, including my hand. Hand catches are cool. But as I said, I've got lots to learn.

But yeah, on with life in the meantime...

No comments: