18 September 2006

Acceptance

So, for the freshest news: I have decided to accept the position. I will soon be the new youth leader at our church. This is an appointment that I accept with much trepidation. I've got to get a bunch of things organized, and get back into the swing of being in ministry. This is a volunteer position, so my free time will start getting chewed up and I'm going to have to start scheduling. But I am looking forward to getting back into teaching and discipling. I've been mulling over ideas on structure and how to develop the group, but most of that still needs to discussed with the head pastor. We're getting together later this week to hammer a lot of these details out.

Just thought I'd let everyone know. Life is going to get interesting. Maybe this blog will as well?

3 comments:

Garth said...

Congrats! Welcome back on board to the joys and struggles of working with adolescents! Maybe you can convince your church that youth ministry is the job of the entire church - not just the volunteers.

Dave said...

No chance on that, but there is a very good chance that we can rebuild the church from the inside. There's a lot of kids in the group that, with only a little bit of guidance and facilitation, could very quickly become more spiritually mature than their parents. I think these kids could run the church better than the people running it right now. Maybe that's the way to go?

Ok, maybe I'm overestimating my own facilitating abilities. Ok, I am overestimating my facilitating abilities. But hey, we can all dream can't we?

Dave said...

I met with the pastor last night to talk about the details and the direction he would like to see the group moving in. It was very encouraging to find that the plans I thought of, and his plans, were exactly the same. Not a single detail was different. Either we think too much the same, or there is a higher power at work here.

Anyhow, I'll be posting updates as things go.