07 September 2006

May the Liver Quiver

So, I'm kinda in a pickle, or cunundrum, or hard place, or sitting by a rock in the afore mentioned location. I'm having a hard time deciding something. I've been given an opportunity, an offer to get involved in something. I've been asked to consider leading the youth group at church for a while. The present youth pastor has resigned, and they need someone to step in for a bit until they can decide what to do next. It's a smaller sized group, in a small church. There is a very diverse history ofin terms of what has been going on with the group over the past few years. In all, most of the kids are actually pretty cool. But I've got one big problem with the situation.

Me.

If I'm going to do this, I'm going to need to be far more disciplined, organized, and focused. I've spent the past year and a bit just kinda hanging around and enjoying it very much. Spending more time with family, and not having much to worry about or think about has been good. If I take this position, then I'm definitely going to have to leave that nice warm comfortable place that I've been basking in. Putting it like this sure makes it seem like the choice should be simple to make. But we are people after all, and it's very easy for us to talk ourselves into believing anything.

I know I need more discipline, and being more organized is always good. Being more focused is something I have very keenly desired for many years, but have not yet managed to find the secrets to (perhaps getting the first two into line will help? Just a guess).

I need to make a decision on this sometime soon. I'm currently considering the pros and cons of this decision. I've explored possible outcomes, possible opportunities, possible pitfalls, possible traps. All of those are just part of the adventure. And this could be a very big adventure. Should we ever shy a way from adventure?

The main thing is this: most, if not all, of my major decisions have "felt" right. My gut reaction has usually if not always been the best choice. But there are times when the almighty "gut" gives not even a quiver. Nothing, nada, zilch, zero.

So, on goes to analyzing and contemplating... either until one option appears to be the absolute right option, or until the gut quivers.

Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Garth said...

Aren't pickles great? Especially if they've got a little kick to them?

Sounds like a cool opportunity and one that God has prepared & gifted you for. Scary? That's a good thing right?

The problem I have with ministry is that too often I think it is all about me. Of course I've gotta be me but I keep forgetting that I need to led God be God - that's the tough part! God will use you & me & whoever He calls despite the inadequacies and sometimes He'll even use them for His purposes!

Okay I'm ignoring the pickle and getting caught up in passion.

If you do agree to this call - do your best to communicate the balance you seek...get the church to hold you accountable, your wife to hold you accountable, your kids to...you get the picture...

You are a good man Dave! I'll pray for your liver to quiver if it helps and if it is God's will. What are your wife's thoughts on it all?

Dave said...

She's concerned about the level of commitment it will take, can I keep up with it. Will I be disciplined enough not to let the ministry suffer due to my laziness. It's a valid point, I have become quite lazy lately. But it's also about time I got off my ass and did something as well. I will be posting updates on this as we go. At present I'm leaning towards possibly doing it, if that's an answer that's that has enough ambigiuity to it.