04 May 2006

Practical Theology

So, here we go, an exercise is taking some blisfully wonderful theology, and making it real and practical, that kind of real like the smell of anchovies all over your pillow.

This is what I mean, we can talk about the smell of anchovies, and agree that it is pungent and attention getting and something that definitly leaves a strong imprint on your memory. But until we take the juice from a tin of anchovies and pour it onto our pillow and deal with the smell of it for a large part of our day, we really don't know what we're talking about.

"What is faith? It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot yet see." Heb. 11:1

I can say that I have the faith that God has a new job lined up for me, or that God will take care of us, or that everything will work out fine. But until the paycheck is gone, our savings are gone, and we have nothing left to pay rent with, we really don't know what we are talking about. But at the same time, that is what we need to do, have faith. We are to be confident. Not wondering if it's going to happen, but faith means that we are confident. Not foolishly wasting what we have, but still confident. This faith is evidence of what we do not see, that which is going on in the background making sure the plan falls into place.

So what is going on in the background. Is every step predestined? Are we slaves to our fate? Or is the chaos organized by our free will? Or is it something in between? I've wrestled with this one, because we do have free will, but I find myself constantly bumping into God and finding he's been waiting for me to arrive at that point in my life. And while waiting, he was busy getting that point in my life prepared for me when I arrive. Does that negate my free will, or simply show that God loves me and knows what I'm up to, and shows up to help, discipline, or cheer.

Anyhow, as always, following a rabbit trail goes a lot of places without getting much of anywhere. Where was I...

Ah yes, practical theology, time to start smelling the anchovies. I've made some choices, and is God going to help, discipline, or cheer. Maybe He's going to cry? At any rate, I am confident of this, He is here. He has been waiting here for me to arrive at this point in my life, and of this I am certain. And this is evidence of what we do not see. I am more than willing to testify that God has met me there before, and I am certain that He will again.

Just a thought for you all to chew on.

No comments: